Last night on the newly Emmy nominated So You Think You Can Dance with Emmy nominated host Cat Deeley, the top 12 dancers really had to step it up with two routines in the hopes of making the top ten and going on tour. Three couples look like strong bets to move forward, but three others will invariably have to dance for their lives. So just who’s in danger and who’s on the hot tamale tour train? Take a look at my rankings below.
SYTYCD Performance Rankings 7/13/11~
1. Marko & Melanie (Contemporary): ok, when aren’t these two at the top of the list? … Um, they’re not, because they’re always awesome, especially with this amazing number choreographed by Dee Caspary. It was simply brilliant and goose bump inducing.
2. Jordan & Tadd (Contemporary): in this fantastic piece by newly Emmy nominated Travis Wall, Jordan & Tadd gave their best performance to date. Jordan really showed her tremendous strength, technique and fire here while Tadd rose to her level oustide of his genre. Outstanding.
3. Marko & Melanie (Tango): here they are again with their sizzling and sexy tango choreographed by a moonlighting Dancing with the Stars expert Louis Van Amstel. It was intricate, difficult and executed wondrously. This couple is unstoppable just like Sonya said.
4. Clarice & Jess (Lyrical Hip Hop): with this number (and then later in the jive), I finally saw what viewers and the judges have seen in Clarice for weeks. She really sparked for me with true emotion and a great honest performance here. And Jess is continuing to surprise too as I believed him throughout this number and he’s growing less affected with each week. Well done.
5. Sasha & Alexander (Jazz): while these two have the chemistry of a potato and a soda, they sure can dance. This number was utterly delightful and showcased their tremendous ability.
6. Caitlyn & Mithcell (Jazz): Um, sexy as hell Ms. Caitlyn! … And Mitchell was pretty darn good too… Hello, we also saw another cool side of Travis’s choreography as well. Nice number.
7. Jess & Clarice (Jive): with arguably the most joyous number of the evening, the little duo that could delivered an immensely entertaining number despite a few little technical issues. Still it was really really good.
8. Sasha & Alexander (Paso Doble): I’m not sure that I agree with the judges about Alexander holding his own against Sasha in this one. I felt like she kinda slayed him here. It was a fierce and powerful number, but one that was a bit forgettable as the night wore on. And seriously, I feel like these two can’t stand each other. I bet they’ll be thrilled to get new partners if they make it through to next week.
~ and now for the not so good dances of the night…
9. Ryan & Ricky (Cha Cha): these poor kids can’t get a break as they’re bound to be in the bottom 3 again after this middling number. While Ricky kinda killed it, Ryan was awkward and uncomfortable and there’s no chemistry between these two either.
10. Jordan & Tadd (Broadway): Is it me or was this number just a bit slow and uninspired. While I love Spencer Liff and his choreography, this one fell below the mark and Jordan & Tadd didn’t seem engaged or committed.
11. Caitlyn & Mitchell (Hip Hop): apparently this number had something to do with freeing abducted Ugandan children, but all I got was that it was pretty bad. The emotion was lost and the two were not in sync or connected at all in the piece. It’s unfortunate because I love them.
12. Ryan & Ricky (Broadway): this dance could’ve been great in the hands of Jess & Clairce who would’ve nailed the style and nuances. Instead it was sloppy, boring, muted and a big miss. Sorry.
Bottom 3 Couples: Caitlyn & Mitchell, Jordan & Tadd, Ryan & Ricky
Going Home: Ryan & Ricky
So, it looks like Ryan and Ricky will be dancing for their lives for the final time on tonight’s results show. But will they prove me wrong and survive? And will Sasha & Alexander make a surprise appearance in the doomed dancer den? We shall see… Now, before I go, I have to applaud guest judge and another Emmy nominee this morning, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), who was not only insightful but hilarious and an unabashed fan of the show. Great job (you too Sonya!)… And congrats to the whole show, Cat, and the Emmy nominated choreographers from last season (Travis, Mia Michaels, Stacy Tookey, Mandy Moore and NappyTabs)! Good luck to you all!
Tags: Cat Deeley, Dancing With the Stars, Dee Caspary, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Louis Van Amstel, Mandy Moore, Mia Michaels, So You Think You Can Dance, Spencer Liff, Stacy Tookey, Tabitha and Napoleon, Travis Wall