When I heard the Idols would be singing the songs of Queen (along with a song choice of their own) tonight on American Idol, I was a little nervous. I mean could anyone really do justice to their rocking anthems the way Adam Lambert did in season 8 or even Carly Smithson in season 7. Well, heck ya they did. In fact five of our top six singers all excelled at these classic songs and most of them had strong nights overall… So, just who did the best and who might see a random song choice lead to their last dance with the silver stools? Check out my rankings below. (And sorry in advance for the short recap, I’m prepping a film shoot this weekend and it’s been an insane week. Thx!)
American Idol Performance Rankings 4/25/12
The Songs of Queen~
1. Skylar “The Show Must Go On”: she killed it and she should be killing it all the way to the finale.
2. Jessica “Bohemian Rhapsody”: her vocals are incredible and she rocked it out!
3. Elise “I Want it All”: I want all of her songs to be like this: fantastic!
4. Joshua “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”: great vocal as always, but I didn’t really buy the performance as an authentic interpretation. That said, super entertaining.
5. Hollie “Save Me”: girl has pipes for days.
~ the one blah one
6. Phillip “Fat Bottomed Girls”: I love that he chose this song. I just wish he could actually sing it… He was kinda sexy making a mess out of it though.
Songs of their Choice~
1. Jessica “Dance With My Father”: Simply Astounding. What on Earth does she have to do to get a Standing Ovation from these nincompoop judges?
2. Hollie “The Climb”: it was wonderful and is a close second to last week’s “Rolling in the Deep” as Hollie’s best of the season.
~ the good
3. Joshua “Ready for Love”: I was surprised he picked this beautiful and melancholic India.Arie ballad. However, he sang the crap out of it.
~ the decent
4. Skylar “Tattoos on this Town”: the first half was just ok, but she delivered big at the end.
~ the ok one
5. Elise “Bold as Love”: she sure is bold for picking a song that no one has heard of. However, that bravery may be her ticket home as it was also just a serviceable take on the tune. She needed a wow factor and didn’t get it on this one.
~ the sleep inducing one
6. Phillip “The Stone”: Phillip clearly has some big stones to sing a song with no melody that very few people have heard of (especially fans of this show). And he sounded exactly like the guy he copies each week Dave Matthew on Matthews’ own track. In a word: BORING.
Bottom 3: Hollie, Elise, Phillip (but who knows anyone could show up it seems and I think Joshua might be the surprise here)
Bottom 2: Elise, Phillip
Going Home: Elise
So, that’s my quick two cents on tonight’s American Idol. Again, I apologize for my brevity, but I have to get to bed and prep for our Dirty Talk film shoot. (Yes, that was me tooting my own horn about the short film I’m producing and co-starring in this weekend.) So, instead of my babbling, I want to know who you think rocked it tonight. Who was your champion? And who just might bite the dust? Sound off below.